Close This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out more here

Autism Wessex
Parent / Family / Carer

Support services for parents

We hope these pages help you to find the information you are looking for. If you would like to speak with an adviser from our Information and Advice service please do not hesitate to call us on 01305 213135. Alternatively please contact us through the website.

Parent & Carer newsletter - Autism Wessex produce a monthly newsletter giving news of local groups, services, events and news.  Contact us to receive your own regular mailing.

Statutory Services

Local authorities through their Social Care and Health services offer various levels of support depending on your circumstances and where you live.  You do have the right to request a care needs assessment to find out about services and support you may be entitled to.   If you do not qualify for support, they should still be able to signpost you to other services through their Family Information Services that my be able to help. Contact your local authority in the first instance for advice. 

Children's Centres

Children's Centres have been developed throughout England, Wales and Northern Ireland as places where parents and children can go to find out about anything to do with families all under one roof.

Different childrens centres have different facilities - many have a pre-school or nurseries, some also have toddler groups, classes, and activities that you can get involved in. Some also run support groups, and have special advisers at particular times for you to talk to.

Some Children's Centres can be a good source of information on local childcare, as Family Information Services officers will hold outreach sessions at the centre, and are a great place to meet new people and make new friends too!  Your local authority will have a list of Children's Centres near you.

Community care

There are private providers who provide community care.  That is care for your child/adult either at home or in the wider community to help access and activity for example.   Most support is financed by statutory services but parents and individuals often use their own funds (including Disability Living Allowance) to purchase a small package of support, maybe just 2 or 3 hours per week for example.  Here is a small selection of providers that may be of interest:

Community Wessex

Care Division


To search for services and support in your local area, try

The National Autistic society Directory of Local Services

For Benefits and Finances See our section on Benefits and Finances

Parent and Carer Support Groups

We're currently working on updating our Parent & Carer Support Group lists and hope to publish these in the New Year.  In the meantime, you can contact us to find out details about groups in your area.

If you would also like advice and support to start a group, please contact us. 

Information & Advice Service:  01305 213135


Autism Wessex News

Fill in your details to sign up for our newsletter

Please enter your first name.

Please enter your last name.

Please enter a valid email address.

Please select an option.

You must agree with the terms & conditions.